Tuesday, November 22, 2005

LEADERSHIP VS. POWER

On Monday night, November 21, 2005, the Mayor of Enfield said "No" when asked by Councilman Bill Lee "would you please tell us the reason for asking for the resignation of Town Manager, Scott Shanley." That's right, there was no reason stated by the majority leader for removing this dedicated and well qualified leader of our town operations.
Dedicated and well qualified were just a few of the terms used by Republican Councilmen, citizens, two former Mayors (one Democrat and one Republican), and as one person stated, Scott Shanley's recent Council evaluation of his performance.
So, why was he forced out of his job? Well, we will never know.
But what is the greater issue here? What brought such heated debate at the Council meeting where emotions ran high?
It was the decision making process that should alarm the residence of Enfield. A process that lacked in openness and accountability. The process in coming to this decision did not include the minority party, also elected by the people of Enfield. It robbed a portion of Enfield citizens the right to be heard through their elected Officials.
It comes down to "leadership" vs "Power."
Leadership is the gifted ability to draw all opinions before acting on a decision. Power, or the abuse of, is demonstrated by avoiding dialog that may not agree with your direction. Leadership has enough self confidence to thrive on debate by dissenting opinions. Power runs for political cover when asked straight forward questions. Leadership attempts to sway others to their view by honoring their position as elected representatives of the town. Power says, we won, you lost. Leadership is expressed in humility, power is expressed in arrogance.
Today in all levels of government we are seeing a vacuum of leadership. Enfield needs real leadership now more then ever. We have some tough times ahead and some very important projects to move forward. We have issues that effect our children's education, our property owners tax burden and, our emergency medical operation on the table.
It will take leadership to advance these, and many more, issues into reality without creating a battle at the Council meetings and in the press.
Power can be used to advance an agenda. The majority can win every vote. The elected minority can be made irrelevant. But what will be the cost?
It will be a loss of confidence in our town leaders. We will see headlines in the press, not about the what we are fighting for, but who we are fighting with. We will see voters lose interest in elections, because their vote is not valued, unless they vote for the right political party. Most of all the role of Mayor, which should be held in high esteem, will be looked upon as the man behind the curtain in the "Wizard of OZ."
Greg Stokes

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last nights meeting was sobering for those few who were there to see it with their own eyes what is happening. The check and balance system of government that is supposed to protect our citizens from government corruption is now gone.Our tax bills will increase and our hard earned dollars will be squandered to the political wind.Welcome to Tallaritaville.
It is too bad Enfield Citizens are not paying attention while the elected officials are abusing the power the 3500 people in town gave them. What will it take? When will the people wake up and realize what is happening to the town we love?

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a town employee, I was not overly thrilled with Mr. Shanley's treatment of town employees. Under his watch, relations with a majority of town employees deteriorated to the lowest I've seen in my nearly 20 years.

However, as a taxpayer, I am appalled with how this "resignation" came about. How the mayor of this town, with a "mandate" of just over 3500 votes can have the audacity to refuse to give his reasons for terminating this man is beyond comprehension. Lest anyone have been fooled into believing this new "era of cooperation" would continue, wake up! This Democratic led town council has no accountability, doesn't give a care, and is only interested in ruling the town. Their way or the highway.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...the taxpayers, and especially the voters of this town have been hosed. As former Councilman Egan put it, Tallarita is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. How prophetic a statement was that?

In my opinion, the voters of this town should start a recall effort for Tallarita, Hilinski and the rest of the Democrats on this council. They are supposed to represent the people. All they represent is their own egos.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see that the Democrats have named Chris Bromson acting town manager. How cute is that? Did I hear that Chris Bromson who was at the election celebration party for the Democrats?

Hmmmmm......something smells here!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Genghis Conn said...

I'm absolutely disgusted by this whole thing, especially by the sneaky and secretive way in which it was done.

Tallarita at least owes the people an explanation, or at least something more substantial than "trust us."

Our town needs stability with revaluation upcoming, and Shanley's departure (and the manner of his departure) will throw things into absolute chaos.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the appointment of the Town Atty, Chris Bromson, as acting Town Manager there is no longer the checks and balances between the two positions. The town charter states "The Town Attorney shall have power, with the approval of the town manager, to appeal orders, decisions, and judgments and, subject to the approval of the council, to compromise or settle any claims by or against the town". Now it is just 1 person, beholden to the majority, who makes the decisions, controls all the information that comes before the town council. This is not open government. This smells like back room politics. Not to mention in order to be a town manager, the town charter states "The council shall appoint a town manager who shall be the chief executive officer of the town to serve for an indefinite period, who shall be a graduate, with a bachelor's degree, from an accredited college or university, whose major field of study shall have been public administration or government and who shall have a minimum of five years experience in public administration" What does our acting town manager have? A law degree with no experience in public administration of this level. Good Job majority, what next, a new Finance director?

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it looks like a rat, has a tail like a rat and squeaks like a rat, it's a rat...a rat named Pat

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This whloe thing reminds of a time not so long ago when the puppetmaster was Tom Tyler and folks in town hall found out quick to "do as you are told or else"...Whats next....

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog and will likely not make it a favorite after reading this. You seem too proud of your poison pen.

As a self professed leader of the community you must be responsible with your opinions and not work to incite people when you have so few facts. You seemed so different when you visited my door.

You and I have no idea of why the town manager was asked to resign. You speculate that there was some underhanded political reasons and that it was a power grab of some sort. While possible, I now think not (see below).

I know little about our town manager but I appreciate that the majority did not air that laundry in public. The ensuing discussions would have degenerated into arguments about his good and bad attributes. That would have been wrong in front of the press and public. I'm sure it was painful enough without that making the headlines for his family and friends to see.

I was curious so I just called my district councilman. We spoke for almost 45 minutes and I now understand his point of view. Try doing the same and see what you think. Perhaps you will write the next article differently.

I just saw your disclaimer and now wonder how many opposing opinions ever make your blog.

"Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author."

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog and will likely not make it a favorite after reading this. You seem too proud of your poison pen.

As a self professed leader of the community you must be responsible with your opinions and not work to incite people when you have so few facts. You seemed so different when you visited my door.

You and I have no idea of why the town manager was asked to resign. You speculate that there was some underhanded political reasons and that it was a power grab of some sort. While possible, I now think not (see below).

I know little about our town manager but I appreciate that the majority did not air that laundry in public. The ensuing discussions would have degenerated into arguments about his good and bad attributes. That would have been wrong in front of the press and public. I'm sure it was painful enough without that making the headlines for his family and friends to see.

I was curious so I just called my district councilman. We spoke for almost 45 minutes and I now understand his point of view. Try doing the same and see what you think. Perhaps you will write the next article differently.

I just saw your disclaimer and now wonder how many opposing opinions ever make your blog.

"Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author."

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home